Sunday, October 27, 2013

Weekly Film Review Round Up 26 October 2013

THIS WEEK'S PREVIEWS

Click here to purchase
             from Smashwords
Click here for Amazon Kindle Version
Only two new films for you this week… Captain Phillips is a drama of the high seas, literally, and if you are looking for a good comedy you will enjoy Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Catch up on some of the good ones in the past few weeks too, like Prisoners, Gravity, and About Time because just around the corner we have releases of some top notch films.
Now I interrupt my normal film proceedings for an advertisment... my husband has told me that I must share with you all, that I have written a book. He keeps telling me that I have spent money and time writing it and then having some very professional and talented people edit it, so I should tell people about it. It's not quite a book, but a novella which is about 120 pages.  Behind the Fire  is a creepy little Stephen King type story. As well, I’ve thrown (at no extra cost) a short story which was previously published in an anthology.
If you enjoy my film reviews, perhaps you may enjoy my book. It is only 99 cents.  I am keeping it inexpensive, because if you don’t like it then at least you won’t get too upset when spending less than a dollar.  Get it while its still only 99 cents, because when I write that blockbuster I may put this one up to $1.99! I’ve put the link below the images to make it easy for you to grab a copy. Its also available at iTunes. Let me know what you think. 

(My movie Pick of the week)

Captain Phillips ★★★★ ½
Opens in Australia:      24thth October, 2013 
Other Countries:          Release Information

THOUGHTS
You want to see this on the big screen. It’s a helluva trip when Somalian pirates take on Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips. It’s a true story and an incredible one.  I often mock, how in films, the Americans are portrayed as the only people who can save the world. But, in this, when the navy arrives, you certainly understand why they are the best people to get the job done.  You also feel for the pirates who must resort to such a terrible and dangerous way to survive. And, a great job by screenwriter Billy Ray, in giving us such character depth. Tom Hanks will receive many award nominations for this performance. The music and cinematography are equally worthy. I am seeing it again.
STUDIO BLURB
Captain Phillips is director Paul Greengrass's multi-layered examination of the 2009 hijacking of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama by a crew of Somali pirates. It is – through Greengrass's distinctive lens – simultaneously a pulse-pounding thriller and a complex portrait of the myriad effects of globalisation. The film focuses on the relationship between the Alabama's commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips (two time Academy Award® winner Tom Hanks), and his Somali counterpart, Muse (Barkhad Abdi). Set on an incontrovertible collision course off the coast of Somalia, both men will find themselves paying the human toll for economic forces outside of their control. The film is directed by Academy Award® nominee Paul Greengrass, from a screenplay by Billy Ray based upon the book, A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea, by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty. The film is produced by Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, and Michael De Luca.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa★★★★ 
Opens in Australia:      24th October, 2013
Other Countries:          Release Information
Perth, Australia:                  See at Luna Cinemas

OUR THOUGHTS
If you are British you will already love Alan Partridge, and I won’t have to convince you this is a lot of fun. I’d never heard of this English show, so I went along as an Alan Partridge virgin.  What a hoot!  Once it amps up, there are many scenes where you will cry with laughter. Steve Coogan has popped up in so many films this year, and in so many varied roles, he has certainly demonstrated his breadth of ability. If you want a fantastic treat of a comedy (and they are few and far between lately), go meet Alan Partridge.
STUDIO BLURB
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, at last, brings an enduring comic creation to film, pitching Alan headfirst into a desperate battle for survival that’s both literal and figurative, as he becomes caught up in a siege at his radio station.

What have you seen this week? Did you find our comments helpful or do you disagree? Share your thoughts with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment